In April 1795 county justices ordered construction of a new stone courthouse on this lot. Courthouses served as a symbol of law and order. For this reason, county leaders designed this building to be the area’s most impressive structure.
Besides serving the judiciary this courthouse also:
- Housed county offices
- Served as the area’s political center
- Was the venue for many local events
Over 200 years later this building has changed. Additions were made in 1871 and 1886. In 1973 circuit court and county government moved across the street. In 2012 the district courts departed for a new structure on the north end of town.
Today this courthouse is one of the oldest still in operation west of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Court functions are still held in the 1871 portion and a museum occupies the 1795 courtroom. Many residents view this building as a symbol of their community.