Main Street-Woodstock Va.
This picture, taken from an undated postcard, shows Main Street in Woodstock looking north toward court square. It was most likely taken in the area of what is now Joe’s Steakhouse.
Today this view is much different. In the early part of the 20th century this area was home to two hotels, several restaurants, and a hardware store. This photograph shows the Geary or Woodstock Hotel on the right with the large porch, and the Holtzman Hotel immediately across from it. The Geary would be damaged by fire in the 1970s and is now home to Walton and Smoot Drug Store. The Holtzman became a theatre in the 1920s but was destroyed by fire in 1949. It is today part of Court Square.
Beside the pole on the left is the home of what was then Kneisley Brothers Plumbing and Heating. A third floor would be added to this building in 1914 to serve as the town’s Masonic Lodge. Today it is home to a local Podiatrist. Across from it is Koontz building which was demolished to make way for what is now the Woodstock Café.