Built in 1850, Burners Sulphur Springs was one of Virginia's premier resorts during the antebellum period.
Located near what is now Seven Fountains, the resort featured a hotel, cottages, pavilions, and bathhouses. Owner Noah Burner advertised the presence of seven healing springs which attracted hundreds of visitors each year.
A community consisting of a tavern, store, several gardens, and the area's first post office emerged to accommodate guests. Slaves worked in these institutions and operated the resort.
Despite the resort's popularity Burner would not achieve financial success. Debt eventually forced him to sell the resort in 1859 after which it became the Seven Fountains Resort. It would close in the 1880s after never recovering from the Civil War.