Shenandoah County Library Archives

Shenandoah County Library Digital Archives

Edinburg Fire Wagon

Files

19-0723-001.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Edinburg Fire Wagon

Subject

Edinburg (Va.)
Fire engines-Virginia-Edinburg
Hisey Drug Store
Firefighting equipment-Virginia-Edinburg

Description

The Edinburg Fire Department was founded in 1869. H.H. Riddleberger was captain and Robert Ruby and Green Swann were lieutenants. The department consisted of only a bucket brigade because the city did not have a water system. According to accounts, the bucket brigade was largely ineffective to large fires.

Around 1903, the Company received its first horse-drawn hook and ladder wagon, which was donated by druggist Frank Dinges, Sr. The wagon had ladders, axes, and chemical tanks.

The photograph here is of the Company's first horse-drawn hook and ladder wagon. The picture was taken in front of Hisey Drugstore around 1900. A band and other performers are in the foreground indicating a parade or other event may be occuring.

Creator

Unknown

Source

Foldr 2.35: Edinburg Fire Wagon, ca. 1900, Shenandoah County Photograph Collection, Truban Archives, Shenandoah County Library, Edinburg, Virginia.

Publisher

Shenandoah County Library

Date

ca. 1900

Rights

Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial (CC-BY-NC)

Identifier

19-0723-001

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Photographic Print

Citation

Unknown, “Edinburg Fire Wagon,” Shenandoah County Library Archives, accessed January 19, 2022, http://archives.countylib.org/items/show/12471.