Shenandoah County Library Archives

Shenandoah County Library Digital Archives

Fire Engine at Triplett and Vehrencamp



Dublin Core


Fire Engine at Triplett and Vehrencamp


Mt Jackson (Va.)
Business enterprises-Virginia-Mt. Jackson


Photograph taken by William Hoyle Garber showing a fire engine at Triplett and Vehrencamp. Across the street from where the photograph was taken (not pictured) was a fire at Mrs. Mrs. Harry Hogsett's Beauty Parlor.

Throughout the 20th century, one of Mt. Jackson’s most prominent commercial establishments was Triplett and Vehrencamp, a farm supply and hardware business. Located on Main Street, near the current town hall, this organization occupied a sprawling warehouse complex.

This business had originally been founded by Dr. J.I. Triplett, a prominent local businessman, who was also responsible for founding Mt. Jackson National Bank and for operating the Mt. Jackson Mill. He had purchased a series of grain elevators on the site from S.P. Lonas in 1915 and expanded the business to include hardware and farm equipment. Later it became known as Triplett and Coffman, and finally as Triplett and Vehrencamp. The firm dealt in general merchandise, housewares, hardware, building materials, gasoline, and Goodyear Tires.

In 1930 Triplett died and the business was purchased by the Vehrencamp family who had already been partners in the store. Twenty-five years later they moved the business to the Rinker Brother’s Filling Station, originally the Mt. Jackson Graded and High School on the north end of town. At the same time, they began selling John Deere Tractors. They ceased their heavy machinery business in 1965 but continued to serve as the community’s central repair center and sell appliances, mowers, hardware, and farm supplies until the late 20th century.


William Hoyle Garber


Folder 1.9: Mt. Jackson photos, including Mt. Jackson Fire Department; Triplett & Vehrencamp, undated, Shenandoah County Photograph Collection, Truban Archives, Shenandoah County Library, Edinburg, Virginia.


Shenandoah County Library


ca. 1950


Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial (CC-BY-NC)





Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Photographic Print


William Hoyle Garber, “Fire Engine at Triplett and Vehrencamp,” Shenandoah County Library Archives, accessed July 5, 2020,


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>