Shenandoah County Library Archives

Shenandoah County Library Digital Archives

Headquarters School

Files

Headquaters School

Dublin Core

Title

Headquarters School

Subject

Headquarters (Va)

Description

In 1891 the Shenandoah County School Board constructed this school near the intersection of what is now Headquarters and Cave Ridge Roads. It was named Headquarters School after the local community which featured a church, stores, and several residences.

The building was a typical school of the time. It was a one-story, frame structure with a tin roof and stone foundation. The interior contained a single classroom and two coat rooms with plaster walls, oil lamp, and stove heat. Restroom facilities and water was located outside.

Approximately 20 students enrolled in grades 1-7 studied here when the school opened. That number would remain fairly consistent for the next four decades.
Students wishing to continue their education after grade seven would have had to attend High School in one of the area towns. Until the early 1930s, this would have required paying tuition and arranging for their own transportation.

In 1939 Headquarters School was closed and students were transferred to Edinburg. The building was heavily damaged in 1975 and partially demolished. It is no longer standing.

Source

Truban Archives

Publisher

Shenandoah County Library

Date

1918

Contributor

Gary V. Tisinger

Rights

Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial (CC-BY-NC)

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Photograph

Physical Dimensions

8x10

Citation

“Headquarters School,” Shenandoah County Library Archives, accessed December 6, 2022, http://archives.countylib.org/items/show/8827.

Geolocation

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>