Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.
Fullscreen MapMap Show Current LocationMy Location

All Stories: 144

In the late 1940s a Gulf Station opened in New Market at the intersection of Routes 11 and 211, two of the region's major highways. Before the introduction of the Interstate Highway System, this area would have been filled with cars travelling to…

In 1928 Mr. F.E. Palmer came to Woodstock from Connecticut to begin teaching business classes at what is now Massanutten Military Academy. After 12 years of teaching Palmer founded his own Business School in Woodstock. Over time it would grow to…

Established in 1955, Southern Kitchen is probably New Markets most iconic restaurants. The restaurant prides itself on serving delicious meals, ranging from fried chicken to peanut soup, with 1950s flair. Southern Kitchen has an upstairs dining…

Sometime during the 1920s Riverside Team Room, located at Red Banks between Edinburg and Mt. Jackson, produced this menu for patrons. Originally it stood on the west side of US 11. Riverside Tea Room was first opened between 1920 and 1925 by…

On May 15, 1933 the Civilian Conservation Corps opened Camp Edinburg just west of Columbia Furnace on the Virginia/West Virginia line. Originally the camp’s population consisted of approximately 80 CCC enrollees and 16 local supervisors in Company…

This building in downtown Woodstock has been used for many purposes. Though no evidence exists to show when the structure was built, we do know that it was in existence in 1845 when the Gatewood family occupied the house. At the time John…

In 1878 the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad completed this passenger depot in Strasburg Virginia. It replaced an earlier station constructed by the Manassas Gap Railroad in 1854 near the current site of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church. The new structure was…

In 1897 Samuel Lonas purchased a mill at this site during Joseph Maphis’ bankruptcy sale. The “Maphis Mill” as it was commonly called had been constructed shortly after the Civil War when Joseph Maphis had acquired the land and rebuilt a mill…

Share this Page


Notice: Undefined index: output in /var/www/html/tour/plugins/CuratescapeJSON/CuratescapeJSONPlugin.php on line 20