Chapin and Sachs, sometimes known as Chapin and Sacks, Manufacturing opened a plant in Woodstock Virginia in 1910 following the purchase of the A.W. Nicodemus & Sons Creamery building on what is now East Court Street which had opened in 1903. At…

In 1940 William Dalke and his family completed a new movie theatre on this site in Woodstock. At the time it was one of two theatres operated by the Dalkes in Woodstock and one of several in their chain of movie houses in Shenandoah County. When…

The 1885 Lake's Atlas of Shenandoah and Page Counties notes the "Shenandoah House" stood on this site. It would have served travelers on the Valley Turnpike and from the nearby rail line. Sometime in the last decade of the 19th century/first…

Starting in the 1920s, clothing and textile manufacturing became prominent industries in the Shenandoah Valley. One group that operated in the area was the Casey Jones Work-Clothes Company. They opened plants in Woodstock, Mt. Jackson, Shenandoah,…

In a 1966 referendum the residents of Woodstock voted to allow the Virginia ABC Board to open a liquor store in town. This was the third attempt by residents to get this approval. Two previous referendums, one in 1958 and one in 1962 had failed by 15…

Sometime in the 1880s Lin Irwin's Drug Store opened on the first floor of the Irwin Opera House located at the corner of Main and Court Street in Woodstock. In 1906 Clyde E. Walton and Dr. James H. Smoot purchased the drug store and changed the…

This tavern opened in Woodstock sometime during the early 19th century. It served many travelers along the Valley Turnpike. Locals observed this was one of the rougher taverns in town and "many a brawl" occurred here. It was open through the…

Neeb's Tavern was located inside Neeb's Exchange Hotel across from the Courthouse in Woodstock Virginia. It opened during the antebellum period. The exchange was still in operation during the Civil War when it was included on drawing produced by…

In 1787 John Effinger was granted a license to operate a Tavern in the Town of Woodstock. The exact location and date in which the tavern operated is unknown.

On August 30 1783 John Crookshanks was granted a license to keep a tavern in his home in the Town of Woodstock. The exact location of that tavern and when it operated is unknown.