Geary's Hotel

In 1875 Mike Geary purchased this site and opened Geary's Hotel here. What existed here before that is unknown, but we do know one of the hotel's major attractions was its bar which was located on the north end of the building.

On October 8, 1878 Mike Geary advertised that "the bar will be stocked with the best liquors, such all pure homemade whiskey and apple brandy, bottled and draft beer, brown stout and porter." In 1892 he proudly announced "the Celebrated Blobe Beer is for Sale at Geary's, Here."

The Geary Hotel's bar would operate until alcohol was outlawed in 1907. At the time the Shenandoah Herald reported only it and the Holtzman Hotel across the street were operating bars. They generated over $500 annually in town liquor taxes so their business must have been brisk. Lawyers representing the two businesses fought efforts to outlaw alcohol, but they were unsuccessful. The "dry" won by one vote.

After this referendum the Geary Hotel's bar became a cafe. In the 1930s Massanutten Military Academy bought the Hotel and kept it in operation at the Hotel Woodstock. It closed sometime after 1950. The building became the Walton and Smoot Drug Store in 1968.

Images

Geary Hotel

Geary Hotel

Image showing the Geary Hotel sometime around the turn of the 20th century. View File Details Page

Hotel Woodstock Lobby

Hotel Woodstock Lobby

Image showing the interior of the Hotel Woodstock's Lobby sometime around 1940. View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

“Geary's Hotel,” Shenandoah Stories, accessed August 15, 2018, http://archives.countylib.org/tour/items/show/189.
Tour navigation:  Tour Info | Next

Share this Story