By the 1930s the population of Strasburg Virginia had grown and increased demand for services indicated a new post office was needed. At the same time, the United States Government was funding an extensive amount of construction projects to provide work for those affected by the Great Depression.
These factors led to the construction of Strasburg’s first purposefully built post office. Prior to this all mail had been handled in rented office space.
Completed in 1936, this Treasury Department project was a major community project. Local leaders felt the new post office would enhance the town and promote its prosperity. Its design, complete with a cupola, reflects the colonial revival style so popular during the period.
Inside the post office is a mural titled Apple Orchard. Sponsored by the Works Progress Administration and the Treasury Department’s Section of Fine Arts, it depicts workers gathering in a harvest of apples and reflects the importance of that industry to the local economy. It was painted by Sarah Blakeslee.