Spangler Mill/Old Mill Tavern

This mill was built sometime around 1797 by the Spangler family who were some of the first Europeans to immigrate to the Strasburg area. It was designed with a wooden end since that material could absorb the vibrations associated with the mill wheel much easier than stone. Records indicate it was preserved during the Civil War because Union forces were utilizing the mill to produce their grain.

The mill closed and became a restaurant and tavern in 1938. It had a large bar and was known for its good food, including Virginia Ham, and wonderful atmosphere. Today it is owned by the local Eagle's chapter but the restaurant is no longer open.

Images

The Old Mill Tavern<br /><br />

The Old Mill Tavern

Postcard showing a picture of the Strasburg Mill at the time it was home to the Old Mill Tavern restaurant. The card includes a description of the mill and its history. | Source: Herb Parker Postcard Collection- Truban Archives, Shenandoah County Library | Creator: Shenandoah Publishing House, Strasburg Virginia View File Details Page

The Old Mill Tavern, Strasburg, Virginia<br /><br />

The Old Mill Tavern, Strasburg, Virginia

Color postcard with a picture of the Strasburg Mill at the time it was home to The Old Mill Tavern restaurant. | Source: Herb Parker Postcard Collection- Truban Archives, Shenandoah County Library | Creator: Shenandoah News Agency, Winchester, VA. View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

“Spangler Mill/Old Mill Tavern,” Shenandoah Stories, accessed September 23, 2018, http://archives.countylib.org/tour/items/show/230.

Share this Story