New Market School

In the winter of 1903, a two-story, slate building was completed to house the students of New Market High School. At last, an institution established in 1870 by Professor E.A. Luster was receiving its own building dedicated to graded and high school students.

The new schoolhouse was set to be open in time for the first day of classes on September 7, 1903. However, Miss Sophia Heinrich, the first woman Principal who was appointed in 1902, was able to hold classes in the old Baptist Church, presumably Smith Creek Baptist Church, until the completion of the school.

On November 23, 1903, the school opened. The 94 students were welcomed with a brief program that included singing “America” and “Bringing in the Sheaves.” Prominent local figures, Rev. J.A. Snyder and Mr. Elon O. Henkel, were also reported to have attended the ceremony where prayers were given and the community was congratulated on the beautiful building and the importance of education.

The school remained an academic institution until 1930. On May 15th of that year, Ms. Thomas Rice observed flames were coming from the roof of the building. Despite efforts of the New Market Fire Department, the blaze caused an extensive amount of damage and the school was reported to lie in near ruin.

The people of New Market did not look on this as a tragedy. They quickly bonded together to raise money for a new building which was built on the north end of town. Until it was finished in 1933, classes were taught at many different buildings, including: the bank building, the Knights of Pythias Hall, a nearby orphanage, the Polytechnic building, and the old Town Hall.

This site was later bought by the Whitmore family who built a two-story colonial-style home here.

Images

New Market School

New Market School

Undated photograph showing the New Market School. | Creator: Unknown View File Details Page

9215 Congress Street

9215 Congress Street

Photograph showing the current structure located at 6215 Congress Street in New Market Virginia, the historic site of the New Market School. | Creator: Nancy Stewart View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Logan Olszewski- Shenandoah County Library, “New Market School,” Shenandoah Stories, accessed August 14, 2018, http://archives.countylib.org/tour/items/show/298.

Share this Story