In the summer of 1908 the Woodstock School Trustees completed this new, brick High School to serve as the area’s Graded and High School. Plans for it were started in 1906 and construction began the following year. A private donation of $3,000, coupled a loan from the state Literary Fund and $2700 raised by selling the old school financed the building.
When it opened enrollment at the school was close to 250 students. This large number of pupils meant the new structure was overcrowded and within a year the School Trustees had moved the first and second grade to a rented building in Lawyers Row.
This building would remain the town’s primary school until 1933 when the county school board opened a new high school on the north end of Woodstock. The school on Court Street then became the Woodstock Elementary School and housed grades 1-7.
When consolidated High Schools opened in 1959, elementary students were transferred to the north end of town and this building became the county school board office. It would serve in that capacity until 2001 when they relocated to a new county administration office.
Today this building is abandoned. However it was recently acquired by the Town of Woodstock and within the next decade will become the town’s offices.