Edinburg Virginia

Tour curated by: Shenandoah County Library and Edinburg Heritage Association

A tour of historic sites in the Town of Edinburg.

Nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and situated in central Shenandoah County, Edinburg, is a small town in the Shenandoah Valley.

Its streets are filled with historic sites, antiques, crafts, gift shops and art galleries. A great time to visit Edinburg would be the third full weekend in September when the Town holds its Edinburg Ole' Time Festival.

Edinburg was settled in the latter part of the 18th century by Germans and Swiss whom the rich soil, beautiful countryside and plentiful water of the Shenandoah River and Stony Creek attracted.

It was first named Shyrock (after a settler) and then 'Edenburg' a reference to the Garden of Eden. In the early 1800's Philip Grandstaff settled on Stony Creek. Grandstaff built a gun factory that made guns for the War of 1812. On that site a roller mill was built in 1848 by his son, George. The mill building remains one of the prominent structures in town and is now home to the Edinburg Museum.

It was the site of 12 skirmishes during the Civil War and the mill escaped Sheridan's torch by the efforts of two local girls.

The 1870's brought a revival of trade and the town was prosperous and lively. Edinburg was the mecca for the nearby Camp Roosevelt, the first CCC camp in the nation.

However, Edinburg did not continue to grow as a commercial center. Consequently, the Town has retained much of its 19th century charm with lovely Victorian homes.

Distinctive Edinburg architectural features include unusual porches, beautifully crafted hand-carved woodwork and locally crafted stone walls.

Locations for Tour

In 1916 the congregation of St. John's Methodsit Church in Edinburg tore down their church building and replaced it with this structure. An annex was added in 1960. The congregation had been formed in 1856 when the Reverend J. Eakin began…

In 1929 the Edinburg Fire Company was formed to provide fire protection to the citizens of Edinburg and the surrounding communities. This was not the first time Edinburg had fire protection. Much earlier the town had operated both a ladder wagon…

In 1848 George Grandstaff built this mill to serve the needs of local farmers. It produced processed flour from the Valley's two major crops, wheat and corn. During the Civil War the Mill was threatened by Union troops under General Phillip…

The first burial at Cedarwood Cemetery was recorded in 1870 but it was not until July 4, 1876 that the site was dedicated. It was the third cemetery to serve the town of Edinburg. At the dedication ceremony, over 5000 people gathered to hear US…

In 1874 Edinburg’s citizens began a lottery to fund the construction of a school in town. These efforts proved to be successful, and in 1876 what became known as the Edinburg Graded and High School, or the Cedar Hill Academy, was opened. The…

Fire has always been a threat to any town in America. Edinburg is not immune. This photograph shows the downtown area after it had been ravaged by a destructive fire in December of 1895. The configuration destroyed six homes, the Edinburg Sentinel…