Shenandoah County Library Archives

Shenandoah County Library Digital Archives

New Market Fire Engine

Files

19-0723-005.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

New Market Fire Engine

Subject

Fire engines-Virginia-New Market
New Market (Va.)

Description

In 1805, the Union Fire Company of New Market was formed. Before then, fires were fought by a bucket brigade. In 1846, the Union Fire Company was replaced by the George Washington Fire Company, due to falling apart. The company eventually became the Stonewall Fire Company.

The fire company received its first fire engine, which was a "hand pumper," in 1875. In 1914, it got a new chemical fire engine, which was publicly tested and deemed a success. And in 1927, it received a gasoline-powered pump, which was donated by J.D. Manor.

Creator

Unknown.

Source

Folder 2.8: New Market Fire Department Truck #4, ca. 1940, Shenandoah County Photograph Collection, Truban Archives, Shenandoah County Library, Edinburg, Virginia.

Publisher

Shenandoah County Library

Date

ca. 1940

Rights

Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial (CC-BY-NC)

Identifier

19-0723-005

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Photographic Print

Citation

Unknown., “New Market Fire Engine,” Shenandoah County Library Archives, accessed December 13, 2019, http://archives.countylib.org/items/show/12475.

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>