Laonard Walters Ordinary and Liquor Store/Central Hotel
By The Shenandoah Stories team
Built in 1836 the Central Hotel was designed to serve individuals travelling on the Valley Turnpike. Providing spirits would have been part of its mission from the beginning.
Who the early operators of the site where is unknown, but in the 1880s its was managed by Laonard Walters. On April 14, 1880 he was granted a license by Shenandoah County to keep and ordinary and retail liquor store at the site. In the 1885 Lake's Atlas he is listed as the owner of the hotel which was still providing spirits for travelers.
Today this building is a apartment complex.
Cite this Page:
“Laonard Walters Ordinary and Liquor Store/Central Hotel,” Shenandoah Stories, accessed August 15, 2018, http://archives.countylib.org/tour/items/show/212.