Shenandoah County Library Archives

Shenandoah County Library Digital Archives

"Wagonner Shed"

Files

20-0309-001.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

"Wagonner Shed"

Subject

Edinburg (Va)
Wagon Shed-Virginia-Edinburg
Transportation facilities-Virginia-Edinburg

Description

This photograph shows a portion of the "wagonner shed" that was located along the Valley Turnpike (US Route 11) in Edinburg Virginia.

The shed was used by crews operating freight wagons on the Valley Turnpike. These wagons carried produce and other local export items to ports and larger markets, typically Alexandria or Baltimore.

This shed was a stopping point where crews could rest themselves and their teams over night. During the Civil War it was used to house Federal Troops.

The structure was originally located in front of the house located at 211 S. Main Street in Edinburg. At the time of its construction, this property was owned by Phillip Grandstaff whose children Mary and Press lived in the house that still stands on the site. Later the shed was moved to the rear of the house which now houses Edinburg Trucks Hobby Shop and no longer stands.

Creator

Unknown

Source

Edinburg Photographs, Historic and Old Time Festival, ca.1900-1995, Edinburg Series, Mary Ann Williamson Collection, Truban Archives, Shenandoah County Library, Edinburg, Virginia.

Publisher

Shenandoah County Library

Date

Undated

Rights

Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial (CC-BY-NC)

Type

20-0309-001

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Photographic Print

Citation

Unknown, “"Wagonner Shed",” Shenandoah County Library Archives, accessed September 24, 2020, http://archives.countylib.org/items/show/15105.

Geolocation

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>