Shenandoah County Library Archives

Shenandoah County Library Digital Archives

Reverend John D. Hamaker


Dublin Core


Reverend John D. Hamaker


Hamaker, John David (1847-1931)
Veterans--Confederate States of America
Clergy - Virginia - Shenandoah County


Photograph of Rev. J.D. Hamaker standing in the studio and wearing an overcoat.

John David "J.D." Hamaker is most remembered for his decades long service as a Minister of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Strasburg and, in his early years, Woodstock.

Originally, J.D. was from Snowville, Pulaski County. He was the son of the son of Dr. Michael and Mary Yost (Douthat) Hamaker. He married Florence Jane Meredith in Snowille and the couple had three children: Arthur H., Florence Mae (1873-1941), and Bessie A. (1875-1959).

When J.D. was just 16 years old, he joined the Confederacy, and served as a member of the Thirty-sixth Battalion Virginia Cavalry, until the end of the Civil War.

The 1870 census for the Wassee Township of Pulaski County found him working as a shoemaker. He and his wife, Florence, had a 1-year old son, Arthur H.

By 1880, the family had re-located to the Davis District of Shenandoah County where J.D.’s occupation was “preacher”. He remained in the Strasburg area for the rest of his life. A long obituary published in the Strasburg News on October 14, 1931, referred to him as: “probably the best known and most beloved citizen of Strasburg”.

Indeed, he was very involved in the community during the 59 years he served in the ministry of the Disciples of Christ. He was one of the founders and held a life membership in the Virginia Christian Missionary Society; he was a charter member of the American Home Missionary Society; with Dr. Josephus Hopewood he was co-founder of Virginia Christian College (now Lynchburg College), and served a number of terms as a member of the Board of Trustees of that institution. At the time of his death, he was Director of the Pension Campaign of the Disciples of Christ for the State of Virginia. Throughout his life he had been a strong advocate of prohibition, and was a co-founder of the Anti-Saloon League of Virginia.

For several years and at the time of his death he was commander of Stover Camp, United Confederate Veterans, and he loved to go to each annual encampment to mingle with the "Boys in Gray." He was an active member of Spurmont Lodge Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons and for a number of years served as Chaplain of the lodge. He was a member of the Board of directors of the Massanutten National Bank, and his associates recognized his “splendid judgment and keen business acumen”.


Morrison Studio


Morrison Studio Collection - Shenandoah County Historical Society


Shenandoah County Library


Labelled "July 1922" on box of plates.


Biography compiled from public records.




Same subject as in Morrison Photos 005445, 011522, 012273, 012676, and 013656.



Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Glass Negative


Morrison Studio, “Reverend John D. Hamaker,” Shenandoah County Library Archives, accessed July 15, 2024,


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>