Fort Valley Works
In 1985 Fort Valley Elementary School produced this book about their community and its history.
The stories inside discuss a wide array of topics. They include commentary on surveys, information about community landmarks, and interviews with family members. All were written by elementary school students.
Fort Valley Elementary was the last of numerous schools that operated in the area. Constructed in 1958, it had two classrooms, a kitchen, and a cafeteria, the first in the community. Students attended the school for grades 1-6 and then traveled to either Woodstock or Strasburg for higher grades. The school was often the center of community pride and spirit.
In 1995, after a decade long fight, Shenandoah County closed the Fort Valley School due to the increased cost of sending resources to the area to meet Virginia educational standards. Today the building houses the Fort Valley Library and Community Center.