Shenandoah County Library Archives

Shenandoah County Library Digital Archives

Browse Items (185 total)

Oral history interview featuring Mary Beth Price conducted on June 17 2021 at the Box Office Brewery in Strasburg Virginia.

The interview focuses on her life growing up in Strasburg Virginia, her career as a local government employee and…

21-1202-001.jpg
Photographs (x2) of students from Strasburg High School in costume for the 1929 May Day parade and festival.

One photograph is labeled "May Day - 1929 - Seniors" and the second is labeled "What 'We' Wore."

The individuals in the photograph…

21-1014-001.jpg
Card with attached ribbon issued to Zelda Lichliter by the Massanutten Garden Club for their Flower Festival.

The card is undated.

Zelda Lichliter was a resident of Strasburg Virginia. The Massanutten Garden Club operates in the same town.

http://10.10.10.10/zach/Morrison02000jpg/02319.jpg
Nate Platt, from Strasburg, wearing his U.S. Army uniform. The Shoulder sleeve insignia denotes the 29th Infantry Division, nicknamed the Blue and Gray Division.

http://10.10.10.10/zach/Morrison02000jpg/02273.jpg
Group of high school students in front of the Strasburg High School. The following have been identified:
1st Row (l to r): ?, Cecilia Horan, Marguerite Boles, Mildred Fund Gordon, Ada Lineburg, Beatrick Booth, Dorothy Lutz, Lillie Lichliter…

http://10.10.10.10/zach/Morrison02000jpg/02227.jpg
Group of Strasburg High School students posed in front of the section of the school that later burned. The following students have been identified: Front row (l to r) ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, Marjorie Lichliter, John Saum; 2nd row (l to r): ?, ?, ?, ?, ?,…

http://10.10.10.10/zach/Morrison02000jpg/02225.jpg
Portrait of Joan Spengler when she was young. She was raised on Delray Farm in Strasburg but spent every summer from the time she was 14 riding for Pringle Brothers Stable of Oshkosh, Nebraska. She rode in local fairs and even competed in the Ladies…

http://10.10.10.10/zach/Morrison02000jpg/02178.jpg
Portrait of Julia Stickley, who worked as a 1st and 2nd grade teacher in Strasburg. She married Kenneth Campbell and had at least one daughter named Mary Campbell Redmon.

http://10.10.10.10/zach/Morrison02000jpg/02101.jpg
Photograph of the Hotel Machir at the corner of Fort Street & Washington Street in Strasburg. The original structure was built in 1881 and was called the Chalyebeate Springs Hotel. Chalybeate’s reputation as an excellent lodging house would continue…

http://10.10.10.10/zach/Morrison02000jpg/02091.jpg
Photograph of Strasburg Presbyterian Church located at 325 S. Holliday Street in Strasburg, Virginia. Dedicated in 1830, it was used as a hospital by Federal troops during the Civil War.

http://10.10.10.10/zach/Morrison01000jpg/01287.jpg
Portrait of Courtney Sullivan as a young woman. She graduated from Strasburg High School in 1947.

http://10.10.10.10/zach/Morrison01000jpg/01286.jpg
Portrait of Courtney Sullivan as a young woman. She graduated from Strasburg High School in 1947.

http://10.10.10.10/zach/Morrison01000jpg/01212.jpg
Early photograph of Spangler's Mill on the southern edge of Strasburg on Route 11. Two unidentified men are also in photo. Built in 1797, the mill was close to the confluence of Cedar Spring Run and the North Fork of the Shenandoah River.

http://10.10.10.10/zach/Morrison01000jpg/01211.jpg
Looking east towards Signal Knob Mountain from Strasburg. The railroad bridge runs close to the Shenandoah and Warren County line.

http://10.10.10.10/zach/Morrison01000jpg/01210.jpg
Spangler's Mill was located on the southern edge of Strasburg on Route 11. The building is still there today. The water-powered mill was built in 1797, close to the confluence of Cedar Spring Run and the North Fork of the Shenandoah River.

http://10.10.10.10/zach/Morrison01000jpg/01197.jpg
Photograph of the Strasburg school building on High Street in Strasburg. It was built in 1910 and replaced the original Strasburg Academy.

http://10.10.10.10/zach/Morrison01000jpg/01181.jpg
Photograph of the old Strasburg High School located on High Street in Strasburg, VA.

http://10.10.10.10/zach/Morrison01000jpg/01166.jpg
Strasburg Steam Flouring Mills occupied the area at 390 East King Street and its parking lot. Original mill buildings stood at the back of the parking lot until they were destroyed by fire in early 2008.

20210302_130246 COPY.jpg
Photograph of Ada Woldson Samuels.

Published in the Shenandoah Herald newspaper on May 8 1969 as part of their "Country Kitchen" series.

Ada was born in January 15 1919 in Strasburg Virginia. Daughter of a tailor who operated Wolfsons…

Naomi Craun.jpg
1974 photograph of Naomi Craun, a resident of Strasburg Virginia.

20-1029-001.jpg
Photograph labeled "Residence of Mr. Silas Funk, Strasburg, VA" and contained within the photograph album "Our Trip to Strasburg."

The album was complied by Ellen Bowman and is dated 1901.

The Silas Funk referred to is most likely Silas…

20-0617-001.jpg
Federal Internal Revenue Service Special Tax Stamp issued to W.J. Homan to be a retail dealer in Wines and Malt Liquors in July 1947.

W.J. Homan operated "Bills Place" on King Street in Strasburg. Evidence indicates this business operated at least…

20-0102-001.jpg
Sketch of the Town of Strasburg Virginia and Federal troops dated March 25 1862. It is from an issue of Frank Leslie's Illustrated Almanac.

The sketch looks south and includes a description of the town and some of its interaction with troops…

19-1017-001.jpg
Photograph from an album entitled "Our Trip" to Strasburg VA, dated September 1901. The album is dedicated to "Ethel Bowman" whose parents hosted the travelers during their visit and who labeled each photograph.

The photograph shows an…

Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2