Shenandoah County Library Archives

Shenandoah County Library Digital Archives

Browse Items (277 total)

Portrait photograph of Joan (Spengler) Bickle when she was young.

Joan was the daughter of Harry "Jake" and Mabel (Clark) Richard.

She was raised on Delray Farm in Strasburg but spent every summer from the time she was 14 riding horses for…

Portrait photograph of Julia (Stickley) Campbell, who worked as a 1st and 2nd grade teacher in Strasburg.

She graduated from Strasburg High School and attended the State Teachers' College (now called JMU) in Harrisonburg.

Her 1925 yearbook…

Photograph of the Hotel Machir at the corner of Fort Street & Washington Street in Strasburg.

The original structure was built in 1881 and was called the Chalyebeate Springs Hotel. Chalybeate’s reputation as an excellent lodging house would…

Photograph of Strasburg Presbyterian Church located at 325 S. Holliday Street in Strasburg, Virginia.

Dedicated in 1830, it was used as a hospital by Federal troops during the Civil War.

The addition visible on the right was built in 1926.

Early photograph of Spengler's Mill with two unidentified men also visible in the image.

Spengler's Mill was located on the southern edge of Strasburg on Route 11 (or Stover Avenue as that stretch is named). The building is still there…

Photograph of the Shenandoah River, railroad bridge. and Massanutten Mountain's Signal Knob near Strasburg Virginia.

The photograph was taken from the Route 55 Highway bridge just east of Strasburg.

Known by several names, the Old Mill Tavern Restaurant was located on the southern edge of Strasburg on Route 11 (or Stover Avenue as that stretch is named). The building is still there today.

The original water-powered mill was built between 1797…

Photograph of the Strasburg school building on High Street in Strasburg. It was built in 1910 and replaced the original Strasburg Academy.

Photograph of the Strasburg School located on High Street in Strasburg, VA.

Photograph showing the Strasburg Steam Flouring Mill located in Strasburg Virginia.

The Strasburg Steam Flouring Mill occupied the area at 390 East King Street and its parking lot.

Original mill buildings stood at the back of the parking lot…

Photograph of Ada Woldson Samuels.

Published in the Shenandoah Herald newspaper on May 8 1969 as part of their "Country Kitchen" series.

Ada was born in January 15 1919 in Strasburg Virginia. Daughter of a tailor who operated Wolfsons…

1974 photograph of Naomi Craun, a resident of Strasburg Virginia.

Photograph labeled "Residence of Mr. Silas Funk, Strasburg, VA" and contained within the photograph album "Our Trip to Strasburg."

The album was complied by Ellen Bowman and is dated 1901.

The Silas Funk referred to is most likely Silas…

Federal Internal Revenue Service Special Tax Stamp issued to W.J. Homan to be a retail dealer in Wines and Malt Liquors in July 1947.

W.J. Homan operated "Bills Place" on King Street in Strasburg. Evidence indicates this business operated at least…

Sketch of the Town of Strasburg Virginia and Federal troops dated March 25 1862. It is from an issue of Frank Leslie's Illustrated Almanac.

The sketch looks south and includes a description of the town and some of its interaction with troops…

Photograph from an album entitled "Our Trip" to Strasburg VA, dated September 1901. The album is dedicated to "Ethel Bowman" whose parents hosted the travelers during their visit and who labeled each photograph.

The photograph shows an…

Drawing and information for a patent issued to Samuel Kerns of Strasburg Virginia for a clover threshing machine. The patent is dated May 8, 1838.

Patent and patent drawing issued to Samuel Kerns of Strasburg Virginia for a surveyor's compass. The patent is dated July 31 1846.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2